obex-data-server 0.3

February 22, 2008 on 1:55 am | In GNOME, obex-data-server | 12 Comments

obex-data-server 0.3 released: http://tadas.dailyda.com/software/obex-data-server-0.3.tar.gz.

This release features API change regarding Server object and removes some memory leaks. ChangeLog:

• API change: Manager.CreateBluetoothServer(string source_address, string pattern, boolean require_pairing)
  • API change: Server.Start(string path, boolean allow_write, boolean auto_accept)
  • update ods-server-test.py according to new API
  • Remove some memory leaks

As you can see, require_pairing argument was moved from Server.Start() to Manager.CreateBluetoothServer(). Introduction of require_pairing in 0.2 version violated obex-data-server architecture by having transport specific code in object other than Manager. This would have made implementing other transports in future impossible.

Sorry for the confusion.. Shit happens ;)

12 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. Excelent stuff Tadas! glad to see you managed to track down your memory bugs.

I’ve still got an ice cold beer sat here waiting as a prize for the first man to get a build of this running on Debian :-D

Robert

Comment by Robert — February 22, 2008 #

2. Ohh I will have to update my code to 0.3… Just kiddin, you are making a great job, hope I can help you more soon.

Comment by Manuel Naranjo — February 24, 2008 #

3. Woot! Good News!

Seems that I’ve finally managed to get a version of ODS running on my Debian build, it took a little hacking around but it is now alive and kicking, seems it was an issue with my session bus.

I’ve spent some time this afternoon working with the API and testing it out, and I take my hat off to you Tadas, it really is an excelent piece of kit! :-D well done! and thanks for your hard work.

One thing we discussed on the version 0.2 thread was the inclusion of the option to select from which HCI device we would connect, however, after looking at the API for version 0.3 I cant see any methods implemented for this? is that correct? if so, then is this planned for 0.4? It’s a highly desiable feature and would suite my application nicely.

Robert

Comment by Robert — February 26, 2008 #

4. Robert,
    Hey any chance you are working on a Proximity Marketing solution? You might want to take a look at this project http://code.google.com/p/proximitymarketing/
    I have some new stuff I’m going to add in the next few days, actually I’m working on a plugings interface all in C.
    Thanks,
    Manuel

Comment by Manuel Naranjo — February 26, 2008 #

5. Hi Manuel,

I’m not actualy working on a marketing solution, I’m just playing around with a few pet projects here in the office, It is handy to see some code examples of how ODS has been implemented though so thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

Robert

Comment by Robert — February 26, 2008 #

6. Robert, I’m sorry I didn’t update CreateBluetoothServer method to allow choosing source address (hci device). That’s because I forgot it… Next time file a bug for feature requests, because bug tracker reminds me what to do, not comments on blog. I hope this feature will make it to 0.4 though.

Comment by admin — February 26, 2008 #

7. Hi Tadas,

You have no need to appologise at all mate, you’re doing some excelent work here, if you ever want me to run some testing for you mate I’m more than willing.

I just went to file the bug report but noticed you’ve already added it. :-D I’ll be sure to use the bug report for any further ideas of buglets I happen to find in the server.

Cheers again mate.

Robert

Comment by Robert — February 26, 2008 #

8. Hello everyone,
    I wrote a little guide on how to build ODS for OpenProximity, here’s the guide if anyone want to take a look: http://sites.google.com/a/aircable.net/aircable/Home/openproximity/Building/Building-Obex-Data-Server

Tadas there’s a bug in the configure script of 0.3, –help says –install-system-config can be used, but when you pass this argument it fails.

Thanks,
    Manuel

Comment by Manuel Naranjo — March 5, 2008 #

9. What a Coincidence Manuel, I wrote my own daemon launch script only just a couple of days ago, nice to see we came up with the same solution :-D

Robert

Comment by Robert — March 5, 2008 #

10. Sorry for the confusion, it’s –enable-system-config.

Comment by admin — March 5, 2008 #

11. Manuel,
    It would be nice to have your building ods howto in ods wiki.

Comment by admin — March 5, 2008 #

12. Sure copy it into the wiki, feel free to do it.

Comment by Manuel Naranjo — March 10, 2008 #