bluetooth-sendto

September 11, 2007 on 10:32 pm | In GNOME, obex-data-server | 12 Comments

So I’m continuing development of obex-data-server. Now that it’s pretty much finished and the D-Bus API shouldn’t change anymore, I can start doing some apps that actually use it.

First such app is bluetooth-sendto which is gonna be part of bluez-gnome. It’s a Object Push client which can be used to send one or more files to another Bluetooth device. I’m glad that I could reuse some older code from gnome-bluetooth for this application, hence it’s feature-complete already.

And now for some screenies:
bluetooth-sendto
sending file with bluetooth sendto

bluetooth-sendto
sending several files, file is rejected by remote device

Now I’m not so sure when one could expect this app to show up in official bluez-gnome package, but I’m working on getting obex-data-server for it’s first public release and only then it might be the time.

12 Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

1. Hi,

Exits sample using Python and Transfer Service ?

Regards,
    Addo

Comment by Addo — September 14, 2007 #

2. Hi,
    Check out “test” directory in source. Newest version of source can be checked out from svn://muiline.com/obex-data-server/trunk.

ods-server-test.py is for testing servers. Can be launched like this: ods-server-test.py <server type> <server root directory>. Server type can be “opp” or “ftp”.

ods-session-test.py is for session testing. You need to change some constants before using it. It makes use of all Session operations.

Tadas

Comment by admin — September 14, 2007 #

3. Hi,

Thanks your reply :D

It’s necessary install openobex (obex-ftp) or other package ?

Regards,
    Addo

Comment by Addo — September 19, 2007 #

4. obex-data-server depends on glib, openobex and D-Bus glib bindings.

Comment by admin — September 20, 2007 #

5. I’m looking so much forward for this to get upstream. Not only the data server but also the gnome bluetooth stuff. Keep on the good work.

Comment by Christoph Brill — October 2, 2007 #

6. I have successfully installed ods,but I don’t know exactly how to use the test program to check it.
    I use it like below:
    sudo python ods-server-test.py ‘ftp’ ‘/home/myname/Desktop’
    it doesn’t work,what’s the matter?

Comment by marstreet — July 10, 2008 #

7. ./ods-server-test.py ftp /home/myname/Desktop

No need to run it as root. Maybe I should remove ‘.py’ extension, because it has #!/usr/bin/python in it.

Comment by admin — October 23, 2008 #

8. Hi,

I am trying to connect from the phone to PC using bluetooth.

I did the following

1) Clicked Bluetooth-Sendto (Part of bluez-gnome) Icon on the UI

2) Selected a file to transfer

3) Clicked on Connect.

I received a message “Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)”. The file transfer failed. The remote device showed a message ‘Connection Lost’

Is this because, the obex-data-server is not able to register properly with the dbus?

Or, do I need to make any changes in the file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf?

Comment by Raghavendra — February 23, 2009 #

9. You can try running obex-data-server manually (obex-data-server -n in terminal). bluetooth.conf has nothing to do with ods, see /usr/share/dbus-1/services/obex-data-server.service instead.

Comment by admin — February 23, 2009 #

10. Thank you.

But I am currently facing some other problem!!

I am trying to send a method “SendFile” through “dbus_g_proxy_call”.

dbus_g_proxy_call(proxy,
    “SendFile”,
    &error,
    G_TYPE_STRING,
    filename,
    G_TYPE_INVALID, G_TYPE_INVALID);

But this function returns a FALSE.
    And the “error” variable is filled with error message, which reads- “Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)”.

I am not able to send any files!!!

Does anybody know why this is happening? Am I missing any configuration? Please give your inputs.

Comment by Raghavendra — February 24, 2009 #

11. As I said, try running (obex-data-server -n), then you will get all debug output and you might see what’s going wrong. DBus timeout message can mean many things, so I can’t make a conclusion based on this information. If you discover a bug, please use the bugtracker (bugs.muiline.com) and if you just want to consult someone about the problems you are having, better use IRC (#ods on Freenode).

Comment by admin — February 24, 2009 #

12. By the way, the only way to protect yourself from irritative calls and spy devices is to use Phone Jammer

Comment by Cell Phone Jammer — September 19, 2009 #